[nagdu] Barking again! (are you tired of this subject line, cause I sure am)

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 15:38:39 UTC 2015

The first thing I do when an animal exhibits undesirable behavior is
to try to figure out the underlying problem. When it comes to
growling, it is usually caused by some insecurity. Of course, every
dog and every situation is different, but from your description, it
seems as if Jada feels threatened by the children. I was taught never
to use corrections in high stress situations because it can increase
anxiety in an already uneasy dog. Obviously, aggression should not be
tolerated in a service animal; however, it is important for a dog to
overcome a fear so that it does not inhibit her from exhibiting
acceptable behavior. If a dog realizes there is nothing to fear, she
will have no need to exhibit aggressive behaviors. Is it possible for
you to socialize Jada with children in a controlled environment? For
example, you could practice obedience in the presence of children,
gradually increasing your proximity and/or the activity level of the
children. This will encourage her to focus on you and realize the
children are not a threat without putting the children in danger or
causing Jada too much stress.
Just my thoughts,
Danielle and Thai