[nagdu] Picking up things that aren't toys

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Jan 5 02:02:10 UTC 2015

Tracy,

You're on the right track, but in an intermediate phase. You can start
teaching him "mine" and "yours" by labeling things "mine" as you take
them and replacing them with toys that are "yours." That's one approach.
Or you can teach concepts like "bring" and "give" or "drop." I've come
to the conclusion that the important thing is to have the dog bring the
things he/she picks up to me instead of wandering off with them to chew
them up in secret. Loki, being a puppy, gets endless entertainment out
of the whole game sometimes, which makes me want to scream... Then I
remember that both of our other dogs grew out of it and will show me
things or even bring them to me in a useful way. Krokus, being pretty
much an adult, should work through the maddening intermediate phase a
lot faster. /smile/

hth,

Tami