[nagdu] expectations of the blind & guide dog programs' admission standards

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Jul 14 14:57:03 UTC 2015

Cindy, I think every school except one does require some level of O&M
skills.  I am sure it varies from school to school.  I have found that
I depend on my orientation skills a lot more with my dogs than with my
cane.  My dog may take a slight turn to guide me around an object and
I need to be aware of that very slight turn and be sure I am back on
course.  I did meet one student who used a dog to go to the convenient
store near his home and back every day.  His O&M skills were awful but
he could do that route so he was receiving his second dog when I
received my first dog.  It worked for him so it worked with the
school.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053