[nagdu] picking breed, gender, and influences from others

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 16:51:10 UTC 2015

            Hello:

I agree too.  I've used guide dogs for the past forty years.  In the early
years I had several failed matches.  Trainers failed to take into
consideration my special needs but, just gave me what they thought would
work in the area where I lived.  I was given large males that were too hard
to handle, dogs that walked too fast and pulled too hard and in a few cases,
dogs who shouldn't have been put out as guides in the first place.  Once I
became more assertive and made my special needs clear and what I would and
would not accept, I've had female golden retrievers who each worked until
health issues made it necessary to retire them.  Last year I sent a very
detailed letter to all the schools  stating my physical limitations and my
preference for a calm, gentle female golden.  After several disappointing
phone calls from schools telling me they could not meet my needs,  I applied
to Pilot.  Two weeks later, I got the call they had the perfect match for
me.  They were right, Eva is exactly what I needed.  There is nothing wrong
with stating your preferences and making your needs clear.  In the end, I
think it helps the trainers make better matches.

Sandra and Eva