[nagdu] Ear cleaning techniques.

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Thu Jun 4 16:21:50 UTC 2015

Deanna,

I use the second method, squirting the liquid into the ear canal to
clean out deep gunk. Mitzi was easy, though I seem to remember working
with her at first while we both got used to the process. Mostly I
remember my friend who had come to help but who wasn't a dog person, and
her daughter who did a running commentary between trying to get time on
my computer. /lol/ The hardest part to get used to was the waste of
expensive stuff, both the cream and the liquid ear wash, because I
couldn't tell how much I was getting in and wanted to be sure to get
enough. So when Loki had his puppy ear infection, I was fine with
letting my husband do the deed while he had the puppy on his lap for
morning cuddles.

I do remember with Mitzi using food reward to get her used to the bottle
and the treatment, but you've also helped me remember sitting and
talking with her with the bottle in my lap, then moving it closer to her
until she started to get suspicious, then moving it away... It helped
that the cream made her sore ears feel really good, I am sure. Also,
Mitzi is a relatively small standard poodle, and she was a pup for our
learning experience, so she was physically  manageable.

With Loki, we still tag team him for his regular ear washings, although
he only puts up a token protest these days. I really should work with
him so I can do it myself. I think I'll try sitting and chatting with
him while I hold the bottle and give him treats. I've done a little bit
of that process using bribes, but I should finish it up.

Funny thing. Zay has always been good about having her ears done, and
she wants to be involved when we're doing Loki's ears, so she gets in
the way. I tried showing her the bottle to let Loki see how it's not
scary, and Zay ran off. So now when she's getting too intrusive, we show
her the bottle and say her name, and she finds entertainment elsewhere.
/lol/ Suppose I should work with her in case I need to treat her ears
again. Silly dogs.

Mambo should get easier as you both get used to the treatment. If you
find a way to avoid wasting expensive ear goop, do tell! I wasted less
with experience, but that doesn't mean I wasn't wasting a lot. We use
vinegar and water for regular ear cleanings, so that's way cheap. Yay!

Tami