[nagdu] Dog Parks

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jun 20 01:30:31 UTC 2015

Elise,

The first thing you would want to check is if your school has a policy
against dog parks, or if your contract has a prohibition. Some of the
programs are absolutely against their dogs going to dog parks for a long
list of reasons about how they are perilous death traps.

As an owner-trainer, I think dog parks are a good thing, so long as one
is aware of the hazards and has strategies to deal with them. If you are
new to going to dog parks, it can really help to have a sighted person
while you're getting the lay of the land and learning what is what...If
the sighted person is aware and can describe what you need to know. In
my experience, most of the hazards of the dog park are to the blind
person fool enough to go wandering around in one, but I've managed to
survive being such a fool for a number of years now, roaming picnic
tables, random water buckets, torn toys, holes and running packs of
yearlings and all! I believe the best way to mitigate a number of the
hazards to one's dog is to stay near the dog and interact, so wander I
do. /smile/

Off leash training is another big safety factor, as is the ability to
socialize with strange dogs. A lot of program dogs don'g get a lot of
that growing up, so they can get themselves in trouble. Puppies and
young dogs get themselves schooled by older dogs in an age appropriate
way, but an adult dog without that schooling can get itself into real
trouble. If I had a program dog, I would approach dog parks cautiously
at first, and only after finding more controlled settings in which to
find out how well the dog could handle itself.

Dog parks seem to have cultures, so if I'm thinking of going to a new
one, I always check things out as much as possible before going in and
turning my dog loose. When Mitzi grew up, she was pretty aware and would
check things out herself, so that was handy. If we got to the gate and
she was suddenly not interested, we would just slope off somewhere else,
where we would be joined by other people avoiding the problem in that
park. Whew! I've found that listening to the people reveals the most
about the atmosphere and the socialability of the dogs. I also pay
attention to who is coming in and how others react, and if there are
warning signs of possible trouble, we meander out. I trained Mitzi to
come to me if there was a real scuffle, and as she grew up she learned
to avoid trouble before it started and herd me away from it. Good girl!

I lived in an apartment when she was young, so the exercise was
important for her, as was the socialization. We had a great park nearby
with a good crowd. We don't have a specified dog park here, and I miss that.

Tami