[nagdu] Why, or why not?

Shannon Dyer solsticesinger at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 17:50:26 UTC 2015

Hi, Daniel.

I got my first dog in the summer of 1997, right between my junior and senior years of high school. I’ve had two others, and all of my dogs have had their good and bad qualities.

In terms of cons of working dogs in general, here are a couple.

First off, I hate always having to talk about dogs with people. Dead dogs that they’ve had, dogs they have who look like mine, but really don’t, how my dog must be my best friend, etc. These conversations have gone on no matter which of my dogs I’ve had, and I haven’t found a good way of stopping them. I’m not the most outgoing person in all the world, so it’s difficult for me to always have strangers coming up to me, not because of me, but because of my dog.

The shedding can definitely be a problem. There are grooming tools that can make an amazing amount of difference, but the fact remains that some dogs shed a lot, no matter what.

Going out in rain or snow to relieve my dog isn’t great. Obviously, I do it, but I sometimes think how nice it would be to stay inside where it’s warm and dry.

Those are a few I can think of right now. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Shannon and the Acelet