[nagdu] Comments people make

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sat Jun 20 18:59:51 UTC 2015

Well as I've said, life has trade-offs, being blind,  for independent travel
we have only two means at our disposal, dog or cane.

As far as people saying my dog is my best friend, I just say" yes I love
him" or "he's my buddy" or something noncommittal like that, just don't
worry about it.
I've just found that I don't have time to worry about all these little
things that people might say...but that's just me and certainly we all have
different things that bother us.

Now, just to prove that Dan W. isn't always so easy-going but he has to be
provoked...I'll tell you about an incident that happened 20 years ago.
Ironically I had just given my pup at the time, Grant, a big big bowl of
water, it's hot in Florida.
We start walking after, remember the big bowl of water. A lady said "It's
hot today can I give your dog some water".
"No thanks," I said cheerfully, I just gave him some and he's really had
enough."
Lady:  "but it's hot".
Dan: "yes I know and thanks, but he's just had some water".
Lady "it looks like he's hot".

Dan, "thanks but I need to go."
Lady: "well if something happens to your dog then what will happen to you".
Dan, who was feeling pretty witty that day "what will happen is I won't have
to stand here talking to you about giving a dog that just had water some
water, enjoy the day".

"enjoy the day" or "have a good day" is sometimes Dan's code for "go jump in
a lake".

Now could I have handled that better? Sure, but that's what happened.

Or what about the time when five years ago,  was it the same lady/--lol puts
down a bowl of water right in front of my dog when I'm waiting for a bus and
Dan not knowing what was happening scolds the dog because he thinks the dog
is trying to grab something off the ground?  Yes I had to have some words
with that person too though I don't think she ever got the point that you
should ask the dog owner first before doing things.
It takes all kinds to make a world, as my Mom said.

I suppose the interference from the public I really can't stand is people
trying to or just not trying to feed, but feeding my dog.  I learned to keep
a very close watch on what my dog was doing because you never know what
people will do

Bottom line, though is I sort of learned to be cautious but relax at the
same time if that makes any sense whatsoever..
And now everyone, I hope you all enjoy the day, but this time I mean it
sincerely and not sarcastically.

Dan W.