[nagdu] Experience talk needed for this sad puppy

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 20:25:59 UTC 2015

Hi,

I hope everyone is having a wonderful summer!

Mine will not be so wonderful.

As some know, I am training my own guide dog of the Akita Inu breed.

Right now, he is one year and seven months old.

Because the larger breeds do take more time to mature, he's not quite there yet, but we'd just started to work in more places so that he could know that the commands are the same no matter where we are.  He'd been making great progress, even surprising me at time.  I was pleased.

But then...he tore his cruciate, and for those who don't know, i believe it's in the ballpark of the ACL.

Obviously that takes training to a screeching halt, no pun intended.

We're scheduled for X-rays on monday, and then a consult with the surgeon, and then surgery, and then physical therapy.

I have a couple questions for you as dog owners, and then a couple questions for those who do train their own dogs or who know anything about dog training.  If yo know all of the above, you'll be even more helpful.

Has anyone known a dog who's torn their ACL and has undergone surgery and PT?  If so, what was your experience?  I'd preferably love to hear about younger dogs who have done this.  I'd assume olde dogs don't have the resilience, but i could be wrong.

I'd also like to know, from you trainers or experienced dog handlers, are there any training things i can do with him that requires hardly any mobility?

I'm assuming that PT is going to take about a year to get him back on the job, even if it's just for an hour. Again, correct me if i'm wrong.  I just don't want to spend that time not working with him, even if it's just mental exercises.

If there's any other advice or tips you can give, please feel free.

I'd also like to point out that I'm sure I'll get multiple feedback on wether or not he will even be able to work. I've gotten it enough from my family, so I'd rather not be "told" my dog will or will not be able to work.  I'm going to leave that decision to God, time, my knowledge of my dog, and the PT.

Any help or prayers will be appreciated during this long road ahead.

Thanks so much.