[nagdu] Strange incidents

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 23:24:28 UTC 2015

Hello,

If you suspect the lady is, in any way, mentally unsound or imbalanced, that could be the problem. Zion is the same way around mentally unsound people, wether I recognize it in the person or not.  Zion won't jump around or act crazy, but he will bark at the person, and being an akita, he'd rather confront the person with barks than walk away from the person, but he will walk away if I command him to.

It is difficult to handle this sort of thing because I doubt you can say, "Hey, my dog doesn't like you. Can you stay away."

The lady might not be doing anything to Ava, but your girl may just be reacting to her as a person.
Since there's no way to know when the lady will pass by, it might be difficult to do some sort of desensitization training with her.
There's a couple things you could try:

1.  Talk to the lady.  Have your girl understand that this lady is not a threat to you. Your dog may appear anxious for a bit, but if you ignored it, she would eventually lay down. Reward that behavior of being quiet.  This will take several repetitions to work.

2.  If you do not wish to speak to the lady, call your dog over to you when she's acting crazy. Don't acknowledge her fear because in that, you're rewarding her.  Get her to sit, and teach her, if she does not know, the quiet command.  Your atitude is important  here because if you're excited on any level, for any reason, she will be.  If this lady does not bother you, and you show this to your dog, she may not react so extremely when the lady comes by.

To me, it's good that your dog picks up on a person like that, but ultimately you decide if the person's a threat.

If Zion wants to bark at a person due to mistrust, that's fine with me, bt he needs to stop when i tell him to.

Those are just my thoughts and recommendations, and others may have something else to say entirely.