[nagdu] Defiant poodles running away from corrections

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jun 24 12:28:37 UTC 2015

Kerri,

I have two types of recalls, a casual come closer to me and a more formal
come here right now.   The formal come here right now, I use the dog's name
plus the word come.  For the more casual recall I use a whistle, just with
my lips.  Sometimes this is prefaced with a particular dog's name and
sometimes I use puppies to mean I want both of them.  I find whistling is
more consistently happy for me.  It's frustrating when they bark at the
mailman and no matter how much I try to use the happy voice, my annoyance
comes through.

I do also use a metal whistle for long distance recall when Monty is free
running.  I don't have a loud voice and the whistle carries much better.
Jetta doesn't get to free run like Monty so I haven't trained her to come to
the mechanical whistle.  I did use it at first in the house to train Monty
to come to it, but it is way too loud for me to be using in the house
regularly.  Some people do, but my budget for Tylenol isn't up to it.
*smile*

I use the formal come when I want to interact with the dog in some way, like
putting on a leash, or it is imperative that the dog comes right now, do not
pass go do not collect $200.   The more casual recall I use in the cases
where I only want the dog to leave off what they are doing or move away from
where they are.  When I use the casual recall the dogs will come near me,
but may not be within reach.   It has helped that Monty is a rock star at
recall and Jetta picks up things from him very quickly and easily.  She
learned barking from him too, lest anyone think Monty has been a rock star
doggie mentor!  *smile*

I am on day two of using the tie down with Jetta for her barking and
exuberant play with Monty.   It's working extremely well.  So far I've only
used it twice both for just 5 to 10 minutes.  It enhances her calm
dramatically, even long after I let her loose again.  I use it rather like a
time out for a little kid.  I do not reprimand or in any way scold her.  I
just clip her to the tether, give her a couple of gentle pats, make sure she
has a toy within reach and walk away.  She then gets the opportunity to calm
down from whatever has gotten her wound up.  I think with consistent use,
she'll learn that calm polite behavior means freedom and wild beastly
behavior means no freedom.  She's a smart girl.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC