[nagdu] Dog bonding

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 16:57:41 UTC 2015

Hi Elise,

I got my first dog in 1975 when I was about 17. I still lived at home then
and even after I moved out a few months later, I was constantly around my
family. Certain family members interfered with my guide dog, feeding her
behind my back, giving her affection immediately after I'd given her a
correction, things like that. I had to return that dog after a year. I'd
wanted a guide dog since I was seven, so it was devastating to have to send
her back. But after the interference from my family, she wasn't working with
me, bonded to me anymore. When I got my next dog, I told my family in no
uncertain terms, that they were to leave my dog alone, especially in the
first few months as we bonded, or I would not be around the family. They
listened and didn't interfere this time. And over the years, my family has
loved and enjoyed my dogs but never overdone it since.

So, my advice to you is to try to be firm about things from the start.
Eventually, you can let your house mates be friendly with your dog.
Occasionally, it's even okay for someone else to take her out or something
like that. But now, while you are such a new team, it's not good for your
relationship with your dog. Try to sit everyone down and explain the
situation. Explain that your safety depends on your dog and the strength of
the bond you share. If that doesn't work, tell them that if your dog gets
distracted by them or pays more attention to them, she'll get in trouble.
That's what I do with people who try to distract my dog while working, tell
them she'll get in trouble if she gets distracted and it's all their fault.
Lol. But seriously, this comes down to respect. Do the people you live with
respect you? Once you explain things about the importance of you and your
dog bonding with little outside interference, then if they respect you,
they'll back off and wait for you to say when they can interact with her and
how much they can interact. By the way, does your school, if your dog is
from a school, have literature for family and friends of guide dog handlers?

Sherry