[nagdu] When keeping you safe leads into distractions

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Mar 11 17:10:08 UTC 2015

Daryl,

Sounds like you're right and Jenny made the best call and managed the
distracting other dogs well, too. I'm guessing that because of the ice
lakes and other muck, there may be a bottleneck along a small portion of
navigable sidewalk and crossing spots. With a warm up, there are
probably more people breaking out and walking their dogs for the first
time in months, too. So your statistical odds of encountering other dogs
on the sidewalk are pretty good, so the coincidence isn't all that much
of one.

I get confused at times like that, too. Mitzi will insist we do
something one way, but I'm not so sure, or I'm sure we should do it my
way. It's especially confusing when it's on a regular route, because I
absolutely know where we need to go and what's up ahead so what is wrong
with this obnoxious poodle? Every time -- every single time -- I have
remembered that I'm the boss, I make the decisions, it's Mitzi's job to
guide to my command, blah, blah, blah, I command us right into a fuddle,
if not a mess that Mitzi then has to get me out of. She has her ways of
saying "I told you so." /lol/ She's predictive enough in her style to
respond to new things way up ahead, so that adds to my confusion because
I just don't detect them. You would think I would have learned, but no.
Just last summer, I decided to stay on the north side of the street a
few blocks longer than usual, realized my dog wasn't making the turn to
do that and was being a little obnoxious about the whole thing, so I
cracked down and we made our crossing and started down the sidewalk,
with Mitzi in sulky poodle mode, kinda slow and balky. You would think
that would have clued me in, but I was being the boss, so... A block and
a half up, the way was barred by construction that came out into the
sidewalk and partway to the street. We had no choice but to cross
without a light or turn around and go back to the light where Mitzi had
insisted we should cross. Sigh.

It's extra confusing when the behavior of everyone else has changed as
well, so spring is always full of surprises for me. With all the smells
coming out after waiting under the ice all winter, Mitzi feels unfocused
even when she's not being ultra sniffy, and I can feel her noticing all
the interesting spring stuff going on around us, so I grow suspicious of
her motives when she insists we go another way and there's also
something distracting there.

Mitzi's not above taking advantage of new distractions along the detour,
or trying to. But it depends. If the detour is a smooth one, she will be
distractable. If it's tricky and has lots of obstacles or difficult
footing, she's spot on, the most focused guide dog ever. She's funny
that way. Strange to think she's ready for retirement, if not
effectively retired. I haven't made a final official determination,
but... I've often thought it might be nice to have something a little
less complicated and quirky, but I'm used to her quirks and will miss
them. :(

Good luck navigating all the nastiness!

Tami