[nagdu] Fwd: 5 Reasons Why Guide Dogs Are a Terrible Idea!

Craig Heaps craig.heaps at comcast.net
Fri Mar 20 14:32:46 UTC 2015

I have no objection to this article, except that it is narrow in scope.  It
presents one side without the balancing factors.

Everything in life is a trade off. If I commit to one woman for a liftetime,
I do so to the exclusion of romantic relationships with all the others. If I
choose one career path, I must eschew others, at least while I pursue the
one I've chosen. . If I order one item on the menu, I must avoide gluttony
and not pick other entrees to go with it.

I thought long and hard before I got a guide dog. At the beginning, I was
just as likely to choose not to have one. I recognized every one of the five
things on that list. But as I weighed the benefits for having a dog, I
decided it was worth the price of admission, as it were.

Others might come to a different conclusion. And I respect that. But just as
having a guide dog is a terrible idea, it is also a wonderful idea. The two
are not mutually exclusive. I put up with the terrible every day because I
so benefit from the wonderful.

I will make one small confession.  Even as I walked away from graduation, I
wasn't 100% sure.  I told my wife I would commit to a year and then
reevaluate. There were times in that first year that I considered delivering
Chase back to GDB. But on the whole, he was such a boost that I journeyed
on. And I'm glad I did.

A little analagous secret: raising children is a terrible idea too. But it's
also a wonderful idea. I did that one as well and have two kids, both of
whom are wonderful adults.

So I'm glad I bought into the terrible idea of having a guide dog and the
terrible idea of having children. Both have had wonderful results.

Craig and Chase, who is ... well ... wondrufl (and very occasionally,
terrible)