[nagdu] Fwd: 5 Reasons Why Guide Dogs Are a Terrible Idea!

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 06:22:11 UTC 2015

An interesting phenomena or actually the word is sad, is that eye
doctors tend not to want to hear about how blind people cope,
what we do, etc.  My husband and I have some friends, the husband
is an optometrist.  I offered to go to his office and do some
staff training.  He got really nervous and uncomfortable.  He
said something like, "We have a hard time dealing with failure".
For an eye doctor, whose goal it is to prevent blindness, they
have a hard time when they can't prevent it.  And very few "get
it" when it comes to offering good recommendations, for
adjustment to blindness.  It's sad and frustrating, because they
don't have to have all the answers, but it would be great if they
would be willing to learn a few things so they wouldn't make
statements like: "Well, I can't do any more for you, so you'd
better go get a guide dog".  I'm working on our friend.  He's
well thought of in the optometry community, so if ow can persuade
him, maybe he can help to persuade others.     Debby