[nagdu] Proposed Service Dog Legislation in British Columbia, Canada

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Mar 24 16:22:17 UTC 2015

Heather,

I've seen this article but haven't read the actual proposed legislation.

It sounds to me like it would be a nightmare for service dog users and
businesses alike. For example, how are businesses supposed to verify
that a given dog is registered? What will it cost them to verify every
service dog coming in the door? Will they need special equipment of some
sort? How much time in extra staff training will this require? If it
costs a business much in time and money to check the registry, why would
the business bother? So then anyone with a similar looking ID card or
tag or whatever could still bring in a pet as easily as a PWD can bring
in a service dog.

And what about owner-trainers? As described in the article, this leaves
them out in the cold.

Standards for organizations that train service dogs for PWDs sounds like
a good idea. I've noticed, however, that in the States, there is not a
significant difference between California programs (at least for guide
dogs) and programs in other states. California is the only state that
legislates training standards and other things for service dog training
programs.

Am I correct in understanding that Canada does not have an overriding
national law like the ADA, at least when it comes to service dogs?

I hope this doesn't go through.

Tami

On 03/23/2015 03:03 PM, Heather Hutchison via nagdu wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Just wanting opinions on this proposed legislation in British Columbia, Canada, where I live (article below). I am currently between dogs but am quite concerned about a number of things, to the point where if this legislation passes I will have to think very hard about whether or not  to get another guide. I am not thrilled about the requirement that all dogs come from accredited schools, but what concerns me even more is that from my understanding, a handler will be forced to present some sort of government issued ID to gain access to any public facility with their dog. This seems like a violation of privacy and human rights (especially if the handler’s name and info is on this ID), it isn’t reasonable in my opinion to require something of a service dog handler that is not required of anyone else. I don’t like the idea of giving anyone who works at a business the right to be the service dog police, and the stress of having to defend my choice of mobility aid at every turn and prove
 I’m not a fraud makes me think I might just stick with the cane.