[nagdu] it's illegal to use a crate or tie down?

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 26 17:02:22 UTC 2015

Hello:

I think crates are cruel.  They had them at Pilot Dogs but, I didn't make
Eva use it.  It was too small for her to stretch out and I like my dog next
to me so I can reach down and pet her.  I also don't like the
short-tie-downs offered by the guide dog schools.  They are so short the
poor dog is almost strangled with no room to move.  I've had guide dogs for
almost 40 years and have never used them.  All my dogs had complete freedom
in my home and I've never had problems in hotel rooms.  The only time I've
restricted my dog is if I'm sharing a room with another guide dog and we're
trying to keep them from playing too much.  Then I use at least a four-foot
leash so my dog has plenty of room to move around.  I think it is a great
idea to teach your dog to free-run.  This will ensure they will come back to
you if they ever get loose.  It also gives the dog the chance to get some
exercise.  I don't have a dog park near me and there is a leash law so, I
have a thirty-foot tie-out in my back yard.  That gives Eva total access to
my half of the property of my duplex.

Sandra and Eva