[nagdu] Allergies: was Zylkene?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Sat Mar 28 01:59:06 UTC 2015

Sandra,

I have never had allergies a day in my life, but this spring, I think I have been "gifted" them so that I can empathize with my dog. Hahaha!  About the time you joined the list, she started barking in harness, and I was asked to log it.  I didn't notice pressure shifts (particularly from low to high), and just thought I had a head cold two weeks ago when I started the log.  Now, I think the barking is an anxious/pained response.  Today in particular, it feels like I've spent the entire day landing a helicopter, and Jenny's been crinkling her ears (to protect her earflaps?)  As my symptoms decrease, so do hers.  When we've had colder weather or more stable temperatures, she's been a dream.  That's why I think it is related to the pressure, and will most definitely get the vet to look in her ears if the barking continues next week.

What is Eva allergic to?

Daryl
 Original Message ----- From: S L Johnson <SLJohnson25 at comcast.net> To: Daryl Marie <crazymusician at shaw.ca>, NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org> Sent: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:25:24 -0600 (MDT) Subject: [nagdu] Allergies: was Zylkene?  Hi Daryl, It is great that your vet considers how medications will effect a working dog. I'm lucky my vet is also very good. Eva is already starting with her allergy symptoms too. Also, if my sinus and migraine headaches are any indication then allergy season has begun! Some meteorologists say this is going to be a rough year for allergy sufferers. Sandra and Eva -----Original Message----- From: Daryl Marie via nagdu Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:48 PM To: nagdu at nfbnet.org Subject: Re: [nagdu] Zylkene? Sandra, Jenny also has moderate allergies to snow mould up here, and unfortunately the air pressure changes this past couple weeks, coupled with the snow mould, have made it an absolute nightmare for allergy sufferers throughout the whole city. Someone mentioned Rescue Remedy, and now that I have heard the name, I have heard of someone on this list using it for air travel, where either the flight itself or the pressure changes may stress the dog (here, the pressure shift is THAT bad at the moment). Thankfully, both Jenny and I seem to have shown some relief this afternoon That's kind of what I was thinking about the effects of Zylkene; though my research does show that it does NOT sedate the dog. My vet knows and respects the work Jenny does, so I know she wouldn't give her anything that would seriously sedate her. Daryl ----- Original Message ----- From: S L Johnson <SLJohnson25 at comcast.net> To: Daryl Lang <crazymusician at shaw.ca>, NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org> Sent: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 18:24:12 -0600 (MDT) Subject: Re: [nagdu] Zylkene? Daryl: I have never heard of guide dogs reacting to air pressure changes like that. Even if it can happen the treatment given to an anxious pet dog may not be good for a guide dog. , I would not give her anything like that without checking with your guide dog school. Most vets do not consider or know how drugs will effect the dogs ability to work safely. I wouldn't want her to be sedated in any way that might compromise her ability. Good luck. Sandra and Eva -----Original Message----- From: Daryl Lang via nagdu Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 7:06 PM To: nagdu at nfbnet.org Subject: [nagdu] Zylkene? Hi! Has anyone given their guide Zylkene? I talked to the vet today, and she seems to think that that might help calm Jenny down while this air pressure runs its course. What do you think? I'm not familiar with it. Thanks! --  Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity. _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/sljohnson25%40comcast.net _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/sljohnson25%40comcast.net