[nagdu] age of guide dog maturity

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Mar 29 19:16:33 UTC 2015

Usually people count the age to the last birthday.  so if she is 15 months
old, she has passed her first birthday and would be considered to be one
year old.  Counting months is more accurate and is generally used only for
young dogs when a few months makes a big difference in maturity.

Is your dog 15 months old now or when she was given to you?  Haven't you had
her for a few months?

Whether or not 15 months is too young is a matter of personal opinion.  Most
large breed dogs are not physically mature at that age and probably have
some mental maturing to do also, but determining mental maturity is not all
that straightforward.  Some dogs have the capacity to work at 15 months old,
even if they have maturing left to do.

What is it that specifically concerns you about her age?

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC
Visit my new website on developing courage and living authentically:
http://www.falling-up.com