[nagdu] Engaging distractors

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Fri May 15 13:49:07 UTC 2015

I think it depends on the situation.  Occasionally my husband has gotten involved and told someone not to pet the dog when I am not able to address the issue (when I was registering on voting day last week, someone was petting her; she ignored them).

If we're in a situation where I can educate, I do.  Sometimes it's as quick as "please don't pet/talk to the dog," and sometimes I can explain why it's important not to.  Conversely, if parents explain to their kids why they can't "go say hi to the puppy", I make a point to thank them.

Daryl
----- Original Message ----- From: Danielle Sykora via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> To: NAGDU Mailing List, the National Association of Guide Dog Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org> Cc: Danielle Sykora <dsykora29 at gmail.com> Sent: Fri, 15 May 2015 07:32:47 -0600 (MDT) Subject: [nagdu] Engaging distractors  I generally try to ignore human distractors who talk to my dog, unless they ask me a direct question. My dog basically ignores exclamations of "doggy" or "how beautiful" so the most I really need to do is tell him "leave it" followed by another command. I will however say something to people who I suspect are about to pet, which I can usually tell because Thai will wag his tail a little. I might also say something to a person who repeatedly tries to interact with my dog in a situation where I can't simply walk away. Danielle and Thai On 5/15/15, Tracy Carcione via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote: > I usually don't try to engage with people who are distracting my dog. I'm > so concentrated on controlling my wild young beast and getting him back on > track that I don't think of it, really. I tend to treat human distractors > like yapping dogs or scampering squirrels, I guess. > > Last night, we ate at our local diner, and, as I was working Krokus through > the tables, where he is very apt to be distracted by food, some guy we were > passing was saying "Hi buddy!", more than once. I told Krokus softly but > sharply to hopp up, and moved him on past and out the door. Then I > wondered > if I should have tried to engage the guy and explain to him why distracting > my dog was a bad idea. > > I wouldn't do it in New York City, probably, but my neighborhood here in > Jersey isn't so fast-paced. > > What do other people do? > > Tracy > > > > _______________________________________________ > nagdu mailing list > nagdu at nfbnet.org > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org > To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for > nagdu: > http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/dsykora29%40gmail.com > _______________________________________________ nagdu mailing list nagdu at nfbnet.org http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nagdu_nfbnet.org To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for nagdu: http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/crazymusician%40shaw.ca