[nagdu] Hot Summer in Florida

Marion Gwizdala blind411 at verizon.net
Sat May 30 12:49:43 UTC 2015

Danielle,

	I live in Florida, so I will offer my thoughts. My dog doesn't have
much of a problem with the heat of the sidewalks; however, walking across a
parking lot is a little more challenging. Perhaps his pads are a little more
calloused because of his time here - not sure. It is currently in the 90s
most days and he doesn't seem to mind the heat, either the air temp or that
of the concrete. Through parking lots where the asphalt is black and,
therefore, hotter than the sidewalks, he walks really fats. If I know there
is an island where he can get some respite to help his paws cool down a
little, I will give him that break. The same is true on sidewalks; if he
needs a little break, I will let him move off the concrete and stand awhile
on the grass. When crossing streets, he has taken to walking in the white
lines of the crosswalk to keep his paws cooler. Just check your guide's paws
from time to time to make sure they are not blistering. I have worked guide
dogs for nearly 30 years in Florida and have never had an issue with
blistering. HTH!

Marion Gwizdala