[nagdu] Haunted Houses, Concerts, Etc

Nimer Jaber nimerjaber1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 19:44:43 UTC 2015

Howdy all,

I have been keeping up with list traffic, and have decided to write my
thoughts into a single e-mail instead of responding to a billion messages.

I have been to the Seeing Eye three times, and each time the message was
essentially the same.  Think about your dog before going anywhere loud,
or a place that may not be suitable for a dog.  With my experience with
various dogs in mind, I have developed my own rules:

1.  Each dog is different, thereby requiring different things and having
different tolerances.
2.  What one dog will find acceptable, another will find torturous.
3.  If I am comfortable with a situation and I have a calm demeanor and
am able to convey that in my actions, my dog will most likely remain calm.

Pretty much, here's the deal.  Some dogs will do fine at concerts and
haunted houses.  Other dogs will not.  Part of working your dog is
making allowances for one another as a team and respecting one another
in your partnership.  I have grown to show respect and love, as this
really is the only way in life.  And this love and respect extends to my
dog.  If I know that my dog is apprehensive by loud noises, I probably
will not attend a loud, crowded concert or a scary haunted house with
people screaming and things jumping out at me.  On the other hand, if I
am an individual with a calm demeanor and I have a dog that can handle
these situations without any issues, you had better believe that my dog
will go with me if it is safe for him/her to do so.  Above any of my
wants and desires, my first responsibility is to my dog's needs.  If I
can guarantee his/her safety and comfort, I will bring him/her.  If not,
I won't.  But this is situational, and depends on me and my individual
dog.  I can't tell Raven that she should not bring her dog to a haunted
house because my particular dog might hate them.  I also can't tell
Debbie to bring her dog just because my dog does well and therefore hers
should as well.

Finally, one thing I would say is that things like this always present a
little bit of a risk.  Get to know your dog and his/her needs and wants
before attending things like this.  Bringing a dog into a situation
where he/she is stressed out when the partnership is new might not be a
great idea.

Thanks.