[nagdu] fake service dogs revisited

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:05:59 UTC 2015

Bibi,
Firstly, people can have emotional support animals in housing.  These animals do not need to be trained to mitigate a person's disability.  However, ESA's are not allowed in places like cafes and restaurants with their disabled handlers.
I'm not really sure why the person feeding the dog means he's not an SD.  Feeding a dog in public, no matter the food is a personal choice— one with which you may not agree but has nothing to do with a dog's training to perform tasks in public.
As for the growling, if it's happening regularly, you may wish to approach the handler and ask about it.  I know at least one of my dogs has growled at another dog before.  I know people with program dogs, whos dogs have growled.  Just because a dog growls does not mean it's not an SD.  The handler should be addressing it, and a good way to stay safe is to speak to the handler about your concerns and listen with an open mind to what they have to say.  Obviously, if they deny the problem or don't take responsibility for it, then you should go to the landlord.  However, I'd have an open and honest chat with the handler first.
You don't have the right to ask about this person's disability— psych or otherwise.  I don't know if the dog has been trained to be an SD or not, but I can understand, with the growling at least, ;why you are uncomfortable.

Good luck.

 Rox and the kitchen Bitches:
Mill'E, Laveau, Soleil
Pawpower4me at gmail.com