[nagdu] fake service dogs revisited

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 12:56:29 UTC 2015

I get that your frustrated.  Dealing with owners who have poor
understandings of what a service dog is can be very difficult.

This may not actually be a service dog, but an emotional support dog, which
is allowed in housing situations.  A service dog is the sort that goes into
public places and does very specific tasks.  An emotional support dog
provides comfort or emotional support to an individual with a mental concern
documented by a health care professional.   Emotional support dogs do not do
specific tasks, but provide comfort by their presence or natural behavior.
They are not used in public, but only in a living situation.

Growling is certainly a problem and should be reported to your housing
manager or other person in charge.  Personally, I believe in extending
compassion and kindness to another dog handler, offering empathy for a bad
day or offering handling suggestions only if the person is open to that.
If the situation is such that you aren't comfortable approaching the other
person, their dog is too reactive for you to get close enough for a
conversation or you are not up for such a conversation, I'd just report to
the people in charge of the housing and let them handle it.  I do not
believe that we should act as the service dog police.  I know I wouldn't
appreciate a lot of intrusive questions and judgments from another handler.
I have and do appreciate it when people kindly tell me that my dog is
sniffing or licking or otherwise being inappropriate and then letting me
handle it.

Feeding the dog from the table is very inappropriate, in my opinion, but to
the best of my knowledge it does not violate any laws.   Same goes for
letting others feed your dog.   There is handling that will probably create
problems for you down the road and then there is handling that intrudes on
others rights or their health and safety.   Generally laws focus on when a
person's actions intrude into others rights or their safety.   If folks want
to make their lives difficult that's pretty much on them.

I'd be happy to talk more about owner training with you, if that's something
you are interested in.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC