[nagdu] Educating businesses about their rights

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 13:55:50 UTC 2015

Tracy,

I do think you definitely have enough knowledge to do a presentation of this
sort.  I think sometimes we focus so much on the legal issues, we don't
acknowledge the emotional or social issues.  You mentioned these in your
post.  Perhaps the business owner doesn't want to get into legal trouble,
but maybe they don't want to be labeled as anti disability or get bad
publicity.  Maybe they aren't comfortable approaching a person with a
questionable dog and just need a few pointers on how to do this in a
friendly, non confrontational, respectful way.  Maybe they are afraid of
being chewed out by another angry disabled person.  I think there's a lot
going on besides legal issues and you could be a huge help in those areas.

Is this something NAGDU could work on?  Maybe a short video, a handout and
some key points for people to cover in their presentation.  there could be
links to resources in case there are questions the presenter can't answer.
NAGDU could provide training to people who wanted to do these presentations,
similar to the training provided to volunteer on the hotline.  I think the
NFB has something like this available for presentations on Braille.

Julie
Courage to Dare: A Blind Woman's Quest to Train her Own Guide Dog is now
available! Get the book here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXZSMOC