[nagdu] Guides at NFB training centers

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 12:32:15 UTC 2015

First of all, I do know that some people have chosen to leave
Centers because their dogs couldn't handle the long absence of
their person.  And some dogs have had to be retired because of
it.  So it does happen.  But I also wonder why the moderators
want to limit the discussion about this.  Is it because we are
talking about NFB Centers? If we were talking about other
Centous, I would bet that there would not be a call to limit or
stop this discussion.  I think it's worth discussing.  Many of
the same skills are necessary whether you use a dog or a cane.
Getting lined up correctly at street crossings; listening to make
sure that you and the dog aren't veering.  (Which happens, even
with the best of dogs).  It is still important to know how to
judge traffic.  That can certainly be learned using a dog as well
as a cane.  The way I hear people talk about canes sometimes is
that they're magic wands.  If I learn to use a cane and do it
well, then somehow I've arrived.  We as dog users know that
that's bunk.  Sure it's good to have good cane skills.  And yes,
practicing using your cane sometimes is a good idea.  An
excellent idea.  Sure our dogs give us subtle signals, but if we
don't follow those signals well, then we are not being the best
dog handlers we can be.  If Centers are going to be in the
forefront, I think it is time to re-examine the dog guide issue
and perhaps to make some changes that would make it possible for
people to do part of their travel training using a dog.    Debby
and Nova