[nagdu] Talking points for convos with training centers' directors

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:42:57 UTC 2015

Sandra,
There is a section of the ADA that covers fundamental alterations.
Essentially, this provides that an establishment doesn't have to
modify it's policies, practices, or procedures for a disabled person
if it means the goods or services would be fundamentally altered
This is why my mission is to figure out how exactly the use of a guide
dog fundamentally alters the adequate teaching of the NFB's
philosophy, and how it fundamentally alters the teaching services so
much so that students cannot even bring their guide dogs to technology
or Braille classes.
This is what our opponents have failed to explain, and what I hope the
directors will provide insight on.

Here's a blurb from the ADA FAQ on service animals on fundamental
alteration. From the looks of it, fundamental alteration doesn't quite
apply to the way NFB training centers prohibit the use of guide dogs
during classes.

EXCLUSION OF SERVICE ANIMALS
Q25. When can service animals be excluded?
A. The ADA does not require covered entities to modify policies,
practices, or procedures if it would “fundamentally alter” the nature
of the goods, services, programs, or activities provided to the
public.  Nor does it overrule legitimate safety requirements.  If
admitting service animals would fundamentally alter the nature of a
service or program, service animals may be prohibited.  In addition,
if a particular service animal is out of control and the handler does
not take effective action to control it, or if it is not housebroken,
that animal may be excluded.
Q26. When might a service dog's presence fundamentally alter the
nature of a service or program provided to the public?
A. In most settings, the presence of a service animal will not result
in a fundamental alteration.  However, there are some exceptions.  For
example, at a boarding school, service animals could be restricted
from a specific area of a dormitory reserved specifically for students
with allergies to dog dander.  At a zoo, service animals can be
restricted from areas where the animals on display are the natural
prey or natural predators of dogs, where the presence of a dog would
be disruptive, causing the displayed animals to behave aggressively or
become agitated.  They cannot be restricted from other areas of the
zoo.

See, the kind of situation that's going down doesn't quite fit. On the
surface, it seems like people looking for a loophole. We'll find out.
--
Raven
Founder of 1AM Editing & Research

You are valuable because of your potential, not because of what you
have or what you do.

Naturally-reared guide dogs
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/nrguidedogs