[nagdu] Doggie seat belts

Debra Baker bakerdebra53 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 15:50:15 UTC 2015

Raven,

Years ago I was in a car accident with my guide who was thrown back and
forth from one end of the back seat to the other.  Two of her vertebras were
injured--one broken and the one next to it crushed.  They were repaired
surgically and she worked for another four years.  The surgeon and I were
pleased with the repair.  He joked with me that, we simply should not "leap
tall buildings in a single bound."

After the accident, the friend with whom I was riding bought me a nylon
harness that could be attached to a seat belt.  But I have chosen not to use
it because it is ineffective unless the dog remains in a constant sitting
position while wearing it.  Since then, my guides have ridden sometines on
the back seat, or on the front or back floor.  In other words, I've never
heard a single accepted answer as to where and how a dog can ride most
safely.

Debbie Baker