[nagdu] Washington DC metro area puppies (add Rockville ADA)

Janice Toothman janice.toothman at verizon.net
Fri Sep 11 13:07:57 UTC 2015

Tom,
I would encourage you to continue to use your cane as much as possible
as others have recommended to you  earlier.  This is a safety issue for
you even in familiar areas such as around your neighborhood or even your
own home.  I can't tell you how many times my guide dog took me around
obstacles in my path, the children or adults leave behind, for me
potentially to walk into or trip over, if it were not for my guide dog.
This has prevented injuries that I can't afford to have because of my
osteoporesis (brittle bones), Likewise, you can not afford to sustain
further brain injury, which there is a greater risk without consistently
using a long white cane or a guide dog as your mobility aid.

Second, Tom there are guide dog school that serve individuals with
special needs (i.e, other disabilities or medical conditions besides
blindness).  I urge you to reconsider apply to the guide to programs.
Raising a puppy will and providing it with socialization and some
obedience training will not protect you from harm.  the puppy in
training does not have the requisite  guide dog skills to do that job
for you and this may not give you a feeling of satisfaction or whatever
you hope to accomplish by the puppy raising endeavor.

I want the best for you to serve your needs and to enhance your quality
of life by.  However, these are just my opinions and you need to
exercise your own autonomy and make your own decisions.  We are just
here to help provide guidance and support.

  If you do not belong to a local NFB chapter, I belong to the, Sligo
Creek Chapter.  We meet every second Saturday at a public library in
Montgomery County.  This Saturday, We will meet at the Long Branch
Library at 8800 Garland Ave in Silver Spring Maryland from 1:30-3:30PM
We will have a guest speaker on the bus system in Montgomery County.  I
would love to see you there.

Janice
janice.toothman at verizon.net