[NAGDU] GDA and GDF was Leader and Leash Guiding

Lisa Belville missktlab1217 at frontier.com
Wed Apr 20 17:56:57 UTC 2016

Danielle, You're wright.  They're very similar in some ways and vastly
different in others.  I actually love hearing about other people's school
experiences and different training equipment.

I knew switching schools would be a huge change.  I'd been with the GDF for
almost 20 years, so I knew I was in for a change.  I mean, it's a different
school, so I expected that. But the reality of dealing with it in a new
place with a new dog was really unsettling at first.  <grin>

Probably 90% of the folks on this list aren't going to get this reference,
but the best way to describe it was a little like the very early Saturday
Night Live when they had this on going sketch called Bizarro World where
they'd show a cube shaped earth rotating during the intro.  Everything was
reversed, people said hello when they parted ways rather than goodbye, but
it was still earth.  Corny, yes, but it was a little like that.

GDA's leashes feel very similar to GDF's only they're different colors.  My
leash is black instead of brown, and I think the leather is a bit thinner,
but I'm basing that off of Katy's old leash that's from 2006.  The length
and construction are the same and we use it mostly the same way you guys do,
making a long leash to get busy or using the hook in the middle to clip
onto the upper most metal ring to make a wrist loop.  Oh, and everyone gets
the same leash, no male or female sized leash for us.  <grin>

I think my harness is mostly white leather with a brown removable off set
handle that detaches just like the GDF's does, and there's not as much
reflective tape.  It's got the long pointy ears on top and it fastens with a
large J clip on the dog's right side.  I don't think the leather between the
front ears is as curvy as the GDF's, but that's something you really only
notice if you use that part to carry your harness.

The original handle was a straight handle, but one of the trainers took pity
on my GDF withdrawal and scrounged up an off set one.  This really made the
Bizarro feelings kick in, because it was just like working a GDF dog and it
really did make a difference for someone who's prone to stepping on her poor
dog's feet.  LOL

I expected changes in training terms, but even some of the basic terms are
the same like getting busy for uh, getting busy.

we Don't use About if we need to turn around, rather we just do two right
turns in a row.

Otherwise, most of the training is very similar in that we use footwork to
be sure we're lined up with our dog.  Body positioning is also stressed like
for making turns or having the dog do a hard left turn.

The biggest changes for me were that there's no leash guiding and no harness
correction.  I can live without leash guiding.  Paige has actually started
doing it, and since I sort of remember how it feels, I can make sure we're
doing it with some safety.  I just use it to go to our busy spot.  No leash
guiding equals no straight line adjustment, so we don't walk in a nice
straight line when leash guiding, and she doesn't do obstacle work and I'm
not training her to do this.  I might down the road, but not now.

No harness correction was actually the hardest thing to get used to not
having and it's the one thing I really miss even now.  Giving a solid flick
while moving to fend off distraction and not slowing down or leaving our
line of travel was awesome and just easier over all.  There's none of that
at GDA and we don't have any kind of similar thing except to hold the leash
in the right hand with the left and do a walking correction.

Oh, and we hold the leash differently than you guys do, we hold it against
the harness handle in our left hand and we wrap our fingers around it and
the harness, but we don't put the large top loop of our leash around our
hand before picking up the harness.  I could always start holding the leash
in the GDF way, but there's too much muscle memory right now, and I'm more
prone to give poor Paige a harness correction with it.

One cool thing they did on Dog Day was to not announce anything about
anyone's dog in the common area.  After lunch we all went to our own rooms
and they brought our dogs to us in private.  It was completely suspenseful
hearing people get their dogs and not knowing who got what dog or what its
breed or gender was.  I didn't know I was getting a Yellow Golden Lab cross
named Paige until Her trainer knocked on my bedroom door.

There are a few differences, but over all those are the big ones.  I really
liked the school and the atmosphere.  It's smaller and less uh, corporate
than the GDF.  Decisions about class policies were made in a matter of hours
or minutes, and I'm sorry, that would never happen at the GDF now.

Lisa

Lisa Belville
missktlab1217 at frontier.com

Never make the same mistake twice. There are so many new ones, try a
different one each day.