[NAGDU] An interesting question

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 21:21:49 UTC 2016

Cindy:

I do not know what NFB thinks of this but, my personal opinion is definitely
yes.  Anyone who allows their dog to attack a guide dog should definitely
face criminal charges.  I have lived through this horrible experience with
three of my guide dogs.  Heidi and Cinnamon had to retire because they
developed fearful nervous barking when they saw another dog.  After repeated
attacks I had to move with Tara in order to keep her safe.  The repeated
attacks caused her to suffer a severe lack of confidence.  Once I moved her
out of that apartment building it took many months for her to gain back her
confidence and she was never really comfortable around other dogs.
Having your guide dog attacked is a very traumatic experience for both the
dog and the blind person.  I was never afraid of barking dogs until the
first time my guide dog was attacked.  Since then I have only become more
afraid with the fear reinforced with the other two attacks.  It was heart
breaking to watch my confident guides become too afraid to work and shake in
fear whenever we had to pass another dog.  Allie may want to check with the
guide dog schools.  I am sure they could give her statistics of the impact
of dog attacks on their graduates.  I have known of many guide dogs having
to be retired after being attacked.  I think there should be a federal law
for this but, starting at the state level is better than nothing.  Good luck
to Allie with her project.

Sandra and Golden Retriever Eva