[NAGDU] retirement, was back from vacation

Caitlyn Furness caitlyn.furness at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:06:16 UTC 2016

Hi,
Dogs adjust to retirement better then we do, most of the time.

It might be different at first, when the old dog sees you leaving with the other dog, but they will probably have had a little time of not working before you bring the new dog home to get used to not working.

I have done retirement several ways. sometimes, I was able to keep the retired dog, sometimes I adopted it out to a friend.  What I do in each situation depends on the dogs involved, and of course, my current living arrangements at the time of the retirement.  I live in an apartment right now, for example.  My husband also has a guide dog.  I really don’t think we could have three or four big dogs in here, plus us, plus my two cats.  I don’t think I could adequately handle everybody’s exercise and emotional needs!!  You never know, though, what can happen!

hth,
Caitlyn and Maggie