[NAGDU] I'm working, don't pet, vest

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 00:29:51 UTC 2016

Darla:

Eva, my 3 year old golden thinks all the people were put on this earth just
for her enjoyment.  She is extremely social and wants attention from
everyone.  Fortunately she doesn't pull me to get to someone.  She is mostly
distracted when we are in narrow store isles, waiting in lines etc...  Due
to physical difficulties I use a support cane in my right hand so having her
leash in that hand isn't as easy but, if she is being too social, I
sometimes try to hold onto both the leash and cane in my right hand.  That
does keep her head from wandering around seeking attention.  The people are
so annoying.  They say she is so beautiful, so cute and so wonderful that
they just can't help but pet her.  As you said, I don't bother their glasses
or their car so, please leave my furry eyes alone!  Maybe we need to have a
sign that says that, it might just get their attention better than the ones
that say don't pet me.  Anyway, I only tried a sign once when it was given
to me.  I did not find it worked and it just added extra weight and bulk to
the harness handle.  People see retrievers as the friendly family pet dog
and do not consider how important trained guide or service dogs are to our
independence and safety.

Sandra and lovable friendly Eva