[NAGDU] Getting a new guide

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Tue Mar 15 17:34:35 UTC 2016

Hello all. I'm writing to brag and to ask a couple of questions and get
some opinions.

First off, I've had a guide dog before. I'm a GEB graduate from November
1993. My dog was a black lab named Ubi and we were a great team until he
retired in June 2000. Since then I haven't felt that it was right to get
another dog. However with all the recent changes in my life, mainly, a
wonderful person, who also is a GEB graduate, I've decided that it's
time. So I applied yesterday. If all goes well, I should have a dog some
time this year.

As for my questions, I'm sure a lot of this is common sense regarding
dogs, but here goes anyway.

1. My girlfriend Stacie has a dog from GEB as well. They are a great
team and her dog, Cash is close to me as well. When I come home with my
dog, is it recommended that the 2 dogs meet each other on neutral ground?

2. While Stacie is the primary person who cares for the dog. I.E.
Feeding and taking him out, there are times that I do that as well.
Would it be recommended when I get my dog, that I only focus on him? Or
should I continue with what I've been doing and integrate him with Cash,
so they can get used to each other?

I know that dogs see things like a pack and I want to minimize any
stress that either dog might experience. I'm sure I'll have more to
write, but that's all for now.

Thanks all.

Raul A. Gallegos
Assistive Technology Trainer
“Any teacher that can be replaced with a computer, deserves to be.” –
David Thornburg

Voice/Text: 832.554.7285
Office: 832.639.4477
Personal Email: raul at raulgallegos.com