[NAGDU] Dog years

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Oct 10 19:08:27 UTC 2016

I just read an interesting bit about dog years vs human years.  According to
AVMA, the veterinary association, the first year in a medium-sized dog is
about 15 human years, the 2nd dog year is about 9 human years, and the rest
are about 5 years.

So, if a guide dog goes out around 18 months, I guess that's about like a
19-year-old human.  Though I think different breeds, and probably
individuals, mature at different rates.  I'd say Krokus, the golden-lab
cross,  was more like a 16-year-old when I got him.  Ben, on the other hand,
was nearly 2, and was born an old soul, so was much more mature when I got
him.

Tracy