[NAGDU] bad dogs

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Tue Apr 25 16:35:32 UTC 2017

Dar,

I think you've mentioned you have balance issues, so this may not work
for you. It may not even be a good idea in certain situations. I'll toss
it out anyway, just in case it might work.

What would happen if you bumped her away from the food with your leg? If
you can get a strong enough shove right behind the shoulder to unbalance
and thus move the dog's front end away from the yummy food on the
ground, then block with your knee if the dog tries to get back to it,
you might be able to win the battle. I've used that mostly at home with
my husband's muscle-bound food-obsessed beastie, though I've also used
it on the poodles to convince them not to cut across me for a good
sniff. I'm not sure I'd try it with my guide in a crowd or in a place
I'm likely to lose orientation, but it does work. It's a direct form of
communication that mimics how dogs communicate boundaries and so on. I
keep my body turned slightly away from the dog and don't even look at
it. It also takes less strength than trying to pull a stubborn monster
away from a goodie, so you might get more victories.

Anyway, it's a thought. You're right that if you're only winning part of
the time, you're not winning at all. That can be so frustrating with a
strong, stubborn dog. Hope you get a way to win consistently and get
your girl past this.

Tami