[NAGDU] Using positive reinforcement instead of punishment

sonfire11 at gmail.com sonfire11 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 13:09:46 UTC 2017

You can do many things with clicker training. Recently, I clicker trained
Alec to take me across a very busy and distraction prone parking lot. He had
to hit a specific point on the other side, so using the clicker to help
pattern him helped. Now, he takes me to that point without fail. Another
good use for clicker training is to build confidence during a route. Alec
was a little hesitant during a 3 mile route we take every other day. Using
the clicker helped him remember what I was asking him to do.
When you rework something like missed obstacles, it is considered a work
error. Every dog is different, but the normal process is to correct, show
him the error, then rework. Seeing Eye will show you how to do these.
However, you must learn how your dog responds to corrections/praise during
work errors, then act accordingly. For instance, Alec bumps me into a pole.
First, he gets a light leash correction. I then sit him down next to the
pole, tap it and tell him fui in a displeasing tone. After that, we rework
the problem by going about 20 feet back down the street and walk through the
problem spot again. Usually, the dog will get it on the first time through.
However, it can take up to 3 or so times.
I don't have a disproval marker during clicker training. The normal leave
it, fui, leash corrections, and control methods apply. Although, I might
have to retrain him on a code word for "let's go now" because anyone who
says the words "ok" and "ready" in the same phrase clues him into worktime
and he stands up and gets annoyed when we don't leave right away.