[NAGDU] Denver

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Sun Dec 24 22:02:52 UTC 2017

Hi Jessica,
A  quick response for now. While some states and local communities have passed bans on certain dog breeds ultimately the ADA does not specify what breeds can be used as guide and service dogs. The ADA trumps other laws.
So, you may or may not get some flack but if your dogs are specifically trained to perform services as prescribed under the ADA then so long as your dogs behave you are not in violation of the ADA using them.

This is my opinion, I understand, but so long as your dogs are trained, which certainly is the case for your guide dog, then you are protected. Your fiancé's dog is in training and not necessarily protected until it is trained. I do not know if Colorado has any legislation covering dogs in training. Others in Colorado may have more knowledge on this.

At present we, on a National level, are not pursuing anything as the ADA covers all trained service dogs. Again, NAGDU members in Colorado may have knowledge. You might contact the president of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado, Scott LaBarre who is a lawyer and would have the information you need. Here is his contact information:
Scott C. LaBarre, President, 1660 South Albion Street, Suite 918, Denver, Colorado 80222.  Work: 303-504-5979, Email: slabarre at labarrelaw.com, Website: http://www.nfbco.org/. I am copying him on this email so he will be aware of your questions.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson
Vice president, NAGDU
The Michael Hingson Group, INC.
"Speaking with Vision"
Michael Hingson, President
(415) 827-4084
info at michaelhingson.com
To order Michael Hingson's new book, Running With Roselle, and check on Michael Hingson's speaking availability for your next event please visit:
www.michaelhingson.com

To purchase your own portrait of Roselle painted by the world's foremost animal artist, Ron Burns, please visit http://www.ronburns.com/roselle