[NAGDU] Reaching Out to Elected Officials

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 9 01:29:50 UTC 2017

Dear All,

                Many of you will remember that, when I was denied access to
a Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART) para transit vehicle in
November, the State Attorney's office refused to prosecute the case. Their
reasons were that the driver and two witnesses, all asserted there was not
enough room on the minivan for a third person and a guide dog, a fact I
offered to disprove by loading three people and three dogs on a similar
vehicle. The chief of the misdemeanor division, Greg Covington, refused to
allow me this opportunity. Furthermore, he chided me by asking, "Do you know
what they are saying about you?", referring to one witness (not the plural
"they" he used) who asserted in his report that I made several racial slurs,
though the second passenger who was sitting closer to the door, stated he
could not hear anything I said and the driver never made such an assertion.
It is very telling to also know that the passenger/witness who made this
statement refused to sign his testimony, perhaps because the form states it
is perjury to make false statements on an official police report.

                I posted the story of how I was treated by the state
Attorney's office on our Harness Up blog and received a call from Andrew
warren who was running for the office of State Attorney. He pledged that,
should he be elected, he would diligently investigate and prosecute all such
cases of discrimination. Well, Mr. Warren has been elected as the state
attorney for the 13th Judicial Circuit of Florida. Tomorrow Sherrill
O'Brien, who serves as president of the Florida Association of Guide Dog
Users (FLAGDU), as well as NAGDU Secretary, and I will meet with Andrew
Warren and other leaders in his administration to discuss how the State
Attorney and the National Federation of the Blind can work collaboratively
to ensure that disabled people who face discrimination are treated with more
dignity by law enforcement and the State Attorney's office, as well as
measures we can take to better educate the disabled community and law
enforcement about the criminal laws that affirm our rights to full and equal
access.

                I want to encourage others to take advantage of the fact
that there are many newly-elected public officials - State Attorneys,
Sheriffs, mayors, city council members, county commissioners,
representatives, senators, and more - who have been elected because the
people believe they wil do what is right and equitable to ensure that
everyone has the chance to live the lives they want. The National Federation
of the Blind and the National Association of Guide Dog Users are here to
help you with guidance, information, and resources to make such meetings
productive. If there is any way we can help you, please do not hesitate to
get in touch with us!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

President at NAGDU.ORG

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.