[NAGDU] Robot guide dog?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Jul 8 16:22:26 UTC 2017

I don't expect to see a machine with the intelligence and versatility of a
good guide dog in my lifetime, but I agree with Alicia's points about the
up-side of such a thing.

The older I get, the less I enjoy breaking in a new dog, especially since
the last 2 have taken literally years to get into a smooth working
relationship, and have retained some behaviors I would be happy to do
without.

I suppose some people are thinking "well then, use a cane", but, for me, a
cane is nowhere near as good as a guide dog, especially with my hearing
getting worse and cars getting quieter. And there are things a dog can do a
cane just can't.

I don't think companionship is a good reason to have a guide dog.  To me,
that smacks of the "companion in our lonely darkness" crap sometimes peddled
by guide dog schools that makes me crazy.  I firmly believe blind people
don't need canine companionship any more or less than anyone else.  I can't
imagine my life without a dog in it, but, if I didn't have a guide dog, I'd
have a pet.  There are days when I've gotten up off my butt to go for a
walk, because I know my dog and I can use the work, even on days I don't
have a particular place to go.  But I frequently meet my neighbors
exercising their dogs, and I could do the same. I would miss the constant
presence of a dog, but there would be things I wouldn't miss, too.

So, while I don't expect to actually ever have one, I can see the
possibilities of a robot guide.

Tracy