[NAGDU] Robot guide dog?

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Jul 8 17:56:16 UTC 2017

Tracy,

Yeah. As I've been sort of idly pondering the general robot idea and
what people are saying about it, it has occurred to me that I would
probably be quite happy with a high-tech approximation of a guide dog,
and a nice pet dog to play and take long walks with. I get the
impression my dog likes his job, especially the part where we're going
out adventuring. He needs to forego a lot of simple doggy pleasures on
working adventures, but I really get the impression he gets something
out of being the lead dog with important responsibilities that keep his
active brain nicely occupied. Or maybe after all the training and gushy
praise every time he did the right thing, he's just happy to be a good
boy. Who knows? I did wonder briefly if I would be depriving him of
something just doing pet things with him and using a machine to do his
work, but that was silly. He would be just fine sniffing and veering off
the sidewalk to check out what's under the bushes at the end of the
leash and watching squirrels instead of pedestrians and traffic. I could
go along with my nice, dependable robot without having to constantly
remind it to Leave It and get back to work. I must also be more
intrigued by the notion than I realize, since I've expanded and upgraded
the indoor robot under consideration. /lol/

I feel the same way as you about the companionship aspect. Yes, I enjoy
my dog's company and just like having him with me on the go and around
the house. I even enjoy some of the silliness his youthful self injects
into his important, serious work. There are a couple of besetting sins
we're still working on and will probably be working on to some extent
throughout his career, but that seems to be part of using a guide dog.
They're supposed to be perfect, but they're not. Anyway, I enjoy him and
feel a sense of companionship that I appreciate, but that is most
definitely not the point and certainly not worth the hassles that seem
to be part of guide dog use.  It's his careful, clever guiding that
makes it worth brushing the hassles off as just part of the package. One
of the hassles that crops up and by now sends me into an instant fury is
the syrupy sweet out of nowhere comment, "Oh, I think it's just so nice
that you have such a good friend to make you feel better." I've given up
trying to find a way to get across that he's doing some pretty complex
work just so I can walk around safely and that they're sort of
interrupting him in it while they're gushing that incredibly offensive
nonsense. Now I just take a deep breath, ignore the whistling sound as
steam bursts out of my ears and move on. At least I've never burst into
a rant about how I have friends -- people friends! -- so I don't need to
get a dog just to have a friend. That would be just too pathetic. /lol/

Some of the serious ideas people have discussed about how a guide robot
could function to be a good mobility aid are really great, along with
the pros and cons and future projections. I've thought of a few of them,
but many never crossed my mind. I, too, think it will be a good long
while before a lot of it happens, and there will be a number of
intermediate versions along the way, some good and some not. My kiddo is
just three, and I'm already dreading having to start considering my next
in another 6 or 7 years. I'll be into my 60's by then, so he's my last
poodle for sure. Possibly my last owner-trained guide. Sad for me, but
sadder for whichever school trainer has to deal with me along about
then. /lol/ Then I'll be back to all the new young dog nonsense, only
I'll be older and crabbier. Yay! Robot, please! /lol/

Tami