[NAGDU] FW: [Njagdu] Blind woman and guide dog kicked off American Airline flight

David david at bakerinet.com
Sat Mar 18 12:38:56 UTC 2017

That is correct, Marion.  If you are in a public space and whomever you
are recording is also in public space, you may record.  It is an
activity protected under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
No one, even the police, may legally stop you from recording, unless you
are creating a public danger or interfering with the lawful activities
of others.  You may be prohibited from recording in some security areas
and national defense areas, although that is not entirely settled law.
If you are stopped from recording in a public space and the issue is
important to you, contact the local office of the ACLU.

Recording over the telephone, or in any area where there is an
expectation of privacy, is another matter and is governed by state law.
The laws concerning recording where there is an expectation of privacy
vary widely between states.  Some states require the express consent of
the other party, and some, only one party needs to know of the
recording.  Some only require notice to the other party that the call is
being recorded.  Much of the commercial recording by banks and financial
institutions is illegal in many states.

This is not legal advice, either.  'Just a summary of my understanding
of what the law is.

David and Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL