[NAGDU] Hawaii

Wayne & Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Wed May 31 11:00:57 UTC 2017

Hello Michael,
You are correct, Sir.
The Hawaii definition of a Guide Dog does  indeed run counter to the
ADA, and U.S.D.O.J. regulations. AS the D.O.J. stated in their 2015
Service Animal FAQ's the disabled have the right to choose to Owner
Train their Service Animal, get their Service Animal from a recognized
programme, or hire a private trainer to train their Service Animal.
Therefore, the Hawaii requirement that a Guide Dog be recognized only if
it is trained by a licensed trainer is counter to what the D.O.J.
regulations.  A Guide Dog Owner Trainer, like myself for instance, could
argue successfully, that since the ADA provides the greater protections
that Hawaii's legal definition of what a Guide Dog is is not applicable
since my Service Animal meets the ADA definition of a Service Animal.
Mainly that he is individually trained in work or task(s) that directly
mitigate my disability.  Especially, since the two criteria that have to
be met for him to be a Service Animal have been met.
1. I am disabled
2. He is individually trained in work or task(s) that directly mitigate
my disability.
No, I have no immediate plans to travel to Hawaii and challenge their
paternalistic and patronizing definition. I was merely illustrating my
point.

Your, Mileage May VARY

Wayne And Harley D

k9dad at k9di.org