[NAGDU] Using positive reinforcement instead of punishment

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Mon Jan 22 15:04:31 UTC 2018

It's funny, my first dog, a Treeing Walker Coonhound, was amazing with
overhead obstacles.  She was just adequate with all of her other guiding and
I never trained her to do any advanced work, like find, follow or named
specific things.  I think her talent with overheads was because of her
breed.  They are supposed to run raccoons into trees, then hold them there
with constant baying.  So the innate ability to look up was hard wired.

Most of the typical breeds, labs, goldens, GSD's, were all bred to do work
on the ground.  Overall I think this is better.  There's a lot more going on
at ground level that I'd like to go around.  Also the personality of these
breeds lends them to working with people more closely.  The hounds are a
much more independent lot.  they like people well enough, but they don't
*need* people quite so much as the sporting breeds.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>