[NAGDU] Dog and New Baby

Jeff Crouch k8tvv2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:35:23 UTC 2018

Hello.
My wife and I brought our first baby home from the hospital a month ago. I
have a guide dog from the foundation. The experience was interesting to
say. I was out of town when my wife went into labor and therefore my dog
and I went right to the hospital. The staff was very professional and left
my dog alone. We were there for 7 days and my partner in crime absolutely
had no issues with the whole experience and took it like a champ. Upon
arriving home the only thing that I needed to watch was my dog wanting to
lick my daughter. Every now and then I will let Mitsi sniff my daughter
when she is swaddled but don't let her nose get close to her face. Other
than that she does excellent. You know your dog the best and what he or she
will do. Our dogs are very in tuned to what happens when my wife or in your
case you are pregnant. The only other big tip I can suggest is making sure
that you have a garbage can that locks like a diaper genie or something
similar that way your four-legged friend will attempt to get into it. If
you would like any advice or want to talk please email me off list. I wish
you a happy healthy and safe pregnancy.

blindness is not what holds you back.

Thanks and warmest regards.

Jeff Crouch

Board Member: National Federation of the Blind of Michigan

Vice President, Michigan Association of Blind Students