[NAGDU] Dog and New Baby

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Nov 15 12:08:53 UTC 2018

I did not have a guide dog when my son was born, but I had pet dogs.  Yes,
you should always supervise any interactions between dogs and
babies/toddlers/children and these days I'd add adults to the list.  The
first few months it's not going to be any big deal.  Your baby will be
sleeping or will be with you, so supervising is easy.  As your baby learns
to sit up, crawl and pull up on things it becomes more important to
supervise.

My dogs were fairly young and in good health, so they could move faster than
the Kiddo.  I made sure that the dogs had the ability to leave if they
didn't want to be around the baby.  I never forced or even encouraged
interaction.  If the dog wanted to approach, I let her, rewarded for calm
behavior and then gave her the verbal cue that she had done a good job and
was free to go on her way.

I think the only time I had to put in some effort on training was when we
got to Kiddo eating by himself in the highchair.  He thought it was great
fun to feed the dogs and they thought it was a buffet from the gods.  So we
compromised that the dogs could eat whatever hit the floor.  Again these
were pets and I didn't have to clean the floor, so everyone was happy.

If your dog is mentally stable, not a resource guarder, doesn't get snippy
over food and has the ability to leave if she's stressed or uncomfortable,
then it's highly probable that everything will go fine.  You know your dog
very well and will know if she's stressed without seeing her.

Congratulations on the new baby!
Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>