[NAGDU] guide dog classes and the totally blind

Julie Johnson julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Oct 18 09:18:54 UTC 2018

I've been told that something like 90% of blind people have some amount of
residual vision.  No idea where that number came from, but at any rate, it's
quite a large number.  So based on math it would seem that quite a few
people in guide dog classes would also have some vision.  I think at one
time there was a notion that only totally blind people *needed* guide dogs.
I think we know better and it's good that guide dog classes reflect a larger
number of people with some amount of vision.  To me, it shows that attitudes
of  the hierarchy of vision are perhaps fading.

Julie
On The Go with Guide-and-Service-Dogs.com
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com
also find my products in the Blind Mice Mega Mall
<https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory_Departments?storeid=1916046>