[NAGDU] New guide dog is urinating in living room on hard wood floors.

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Oct 31 12:17:46 UTC 2018

Hi Howard.
My dog Krokus has ongoing urinary issues, somewhat controlled by medication,
but I still have to be very aware of how much he drinks, and take him out
more than any of my other dogs.  4 or 5 times a day is not enough for him,
and it may not be enough for your gal, either.
I have to pay close attention to his signals, which are pretty subtle, and
take him out right away if he seems to need it.  My old dog relieving
schedule went right out the window when he came along.
If he has a good drink, he has to go out somewhere between 1 and 2 hours
afterwords, regardless of when he was last out.

A month after you got her, it's not too crazy to keep her on leash or
tie-down still, if she's having issues.  I like my dogs to be free in the
house, too, but I expect to keep them on leash or tie-down for at least a
couple weeks, and more if necessary.  It seemed like ages before Krokus
could be trusted without constant supervision.

There was a time Krokus felt free to pee in the house, and, once he picked a
spot it took some very sharp words to deter him, as well as a lot of cleaner
to make the spot stop smelling like a place he thought he could use.

My girls who had spayed bitch incontinence would pee in their sleep, quite
different from choosing a spot and peeing in it.
A vet visit couldn't hurt, to make sure it's not a medical issue.
Good luck.  I know what a problem peeing in the house can be.
Tracy