[NAGDU] Owner training

Rox Homstad pawpower4me at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 23:27:06 UTC 2019

Jordan.
I have been reading this whole thread and honestly am not seeing anything problematic with what Julie said She invited you/others to join both our conference call and the get together.  She also said that in order to be a successful owner trainer, you have to have a certian kind of mindset/motive.  She didn't say you did not, just that it takes a certain kind of person and she is right, doing it because you are angry or resentful is not going to get you far.  It is hard and expensive in terms of both money and time/energy spent.   Retraining a dog from the ground up is completely different than retraining a dog you got from a program and who needs retraining, at least it was for me because I have done both.
For what its worth, this is what I think one needs to be a successful owner trainer.
1. Good O&M, this should be self-explanitory.
2. A love of dogs, and a willingness to put up with dog BS meaning this is going to be an un trained dog you will have for the first while. It is going to do things like pee in the house and eat your earbuds and steal your sandwich and you are going to have to be patient and teach it.
3. Most owner trainers are self-motivated, are blunt-spoken, are willing to hear criticism, even when its something that sucks and you don't want to hear.  You don't have a program to call when crap goes off the rails, you are both the trainer and the end user and being an owner trainer means you'd better be able to get real with yourself real quick or someone's going to get hurt if there is a bad situation.
4. Love of learning/love of teaching.
I don't know you and I don't know if you have any of these qualities or not.
If you want to start with a dog who is at an age to be trained, you can either go the rescue dog route, or through a breeder or a private rehoming, such as if you know a friend who has a dog that they are rehoming and you think would be a good fit for your life.
When you pick a dog, take someone with you who is neutral, this is not a rehab project.  You have to decide everything from the dog's training and what to train first to what equipment to use.
It is hard, takes up most of your time and money, and is a huge physical/mental/emotional investment with the result that the dog could be unsuitable and you could be left with a year of hard work and nothing to show for it.
With all that said the people who like doing it, still do, but it doesn't make any of the hard stuff less hard
Rox'E and the Kitchen Bitches
Soleil, Rowan, Phoenix
pawpower4me at gmail.com