[NAGDU] pace and pull

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun May 26 14:00:11 UTC 2019

I had a lot of trouble with Krokus being extremely slow for quite a while.  I used to call him poky Krokie.  There were times in training I swear he would move an inch, then another inch ... made me feel like crying.
What finally got him going was this:  First, be sure I'm keeping a reasonable tension on the harness handle, so we both feel some pull.  I don't want a hard pull, but I want some.  Next, say Hopp up in a positive way.  If that doesn't work, say it once more in a stern way.  If that doesn't work, flick the leash forward, so he knows I'm not fooling.  For a while, this would get him to move a bit, then slow down again, and I'd flick the leash again, so he knew he had to keep moving along.  It took a while, but he got the idea, and now he moves along well most of the time.  It's not fast, but it's comfortable.  I think Krokus is a bit lazy.  He will do what's required, but if he can get away with less, hey, why not?

A different thing that worked with other dogs who weren't as poky as Krokie was to reach down and pat their side or back end.  They took it as encouragement, and would step it up a bit.
HTH.
Tracy